Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Football Officiating

What can I say... I absolutely love officiating football. I can't believe that it took me this long to agree to it. It makes those who think they know football to look at it from a different perspective. All the fine details of the game become glaring when you learn what to look for. I don't even watch a game now (college or pro) without looking at the number of players, formations, and penalties during each play. My buddy Andrew asked me if I would be one of those annoying people to watch a game with now that I see it through a different set of eyes? I told him probably. I can't watch it now and not see it through those eyes. I still have a ton to learn, but I love the process of the learning and fine tuning my mechanics on the field.
I have already talked to a guy who works the Pac-10 as a review official and I will hopefully get to work the UofA spring scrimmages and the fall scrimmages. He said that is where the Pac-10 recruits from and this is where I can get observed. I would love to work college games and then work my way up to the NFL. I couldn't make it there as a player, but I still might be able to make it there as an official.
I would encourage anyone who loves the game of football to get involved in officiating. I am working on a few of my buddies to join me next year and begin working games.

No comments: